family solicitors rotherham

Unmarried Couples Legal Rights

Unmarried couples do not have the same legal rights as married couples, and the idea of a 'common law wife' or husband does not have any legal recognition in England.

Many people live with a partner but aren't married. In these circumstances it is important to understand what your legal rights are in the event of a separation.

Our specialist family lawyers can advise you on all aspects of the law including those in relation to finances, property and children.

We offer a free initial consultation for all new clients. Please contact us to arrange a consultation.

Finances and Property

Unmarried couples are treated as two separate individuals in law, meaning that you may not have any automatic entitlement to a share of the property you live in, or other financial assets, depending on how the legal ownership of those assets is eet up.

As an example, in some cases a property may be legally owned by only one party, even though the other party may be paying towards the mortgage or other costs, such as when one person has moved in with the other who already owned a property. If this is the case then you will need a specialist family solicitor to try and negotiate a financial settlement with your partner. This may be done through direct negotiation or through Court action if required.

It will be necessary to show that you had some sort of agreement (which can be either verbal or written) with your partner about how the assets would be divided on separation. You will also need to show financial records, such as bank statements, showing that you did in fact make a financial contribution.


We can help in making arrangements for children, such as who they will live with and what sort of contact they will have with the other parent.

In some cases, fathers may not automatically have what is legally known as Parental Responsibility. We can advise them on this and help to obtain it through the Courts where required.

Contact us for advice on this or see our page on Children following a separation or divorce.

Contact Us

Tel: 0333 577 4215

Free from mobiles & landlines with inclusive minutes and geographic rate (eg.01) charged from all others